2.28.2007

Tennis pros

Rachel and I are continuing our bi-weekly workouts on Tuesdays and Thursdays...for the most part. Last night we decided to play tennis and make the boys come with us. First we went to Big 5 Sports? I think that's what it's called. Zach and Chad led us straight to the gun wall, and then stared at them longingly; Rachel and I had to find the tennis equipment on our own while they dreamt of elk and javelina. So now I am an owner of a tennis racket, which is funny for so many reasons.

We didn't really know where one goes to play tennis, so we wandered around Mesa finding both Taylor Junior High and Mesa High with no lights on at the courts. We considered what big mormon families we knew that had tennis courts in their backyard, which was surprisingly several, but none that we wanted to talk to. Then it came to us: Freestone Park. The mecca of all parks. The place of tacky engagement pictures, the train ride I was obsessed with as a child, our family Christmas pictures one year, and various high school parties where I grumpily sat on the grass hoping I wouldn't be forced into sand volley ball.

As you might have predicted I was no good at tennis, but I did perfect the "UHG!" yell when I served the ball. Rachel didn't really attempt to hit the ball unless it came straight to her, and even then sometimes she just looked at Chad to run across the court and hit it for her. Zach, who has played tennis maybe twice in his life, of course was really good at it right away. Which is infuriating.

A good time was had by all, and we got yummy Diet Cokes with lime from Sonic. My next purchase: a cute tennis skirt.

This woman looks more coordinated than I did.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike and I have tennis rackets you guys could have borrowed, silloes. Maybe we can play doubles sometime!!! Mike is really good, but I suck. Of course.

-Aunt C

Anonymous said...

Lol, I love it!! I don't know if you remember getting taught how to serve at Taylor Jr. High, "shake hands with the giant."

Erica said...

lol I forgot about that! Coach Lesbian thought she was a pro. I was just trying to get through junior high PE without dieing.

Anonymous said...

Good grief, just put a tape in your player and do something to get your heart rate up. I predict this tennis fiasco will last one more week. Of course Zach is good at it, he actually has hand-eye coordination.

--Mama