11.18.2010

Nerdy Talk

Going to see this in a couple of hours and could not be more excited.

deathly

And now I have something to rant about. I really hate when people make Twilight/Harry Potter comparisons. They are both young adult fiction about fantasy/magic; but that is where their similarities end. Let's be clear about that.

Twilight is like a meal from McDonald's - it tastes pretty good and is fun to eat; but afterwards you feel a little guilty and you probably won't be eating it again for awhile. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy french fries from time to time, and it doesn't mean I did not read all the Twilight books and will see all the movies. HOWEVER, the Harry Potter series is like your favorite gourmet meal made by a master chef that you can eat anywhere, anytime, all the time. It literally has changed children's literature and I have grown up reading these books since I was in junior high. Stephanie Meyer is no J.K. Rowling; a fact that is so obvious it really doesn't even need to be said. So let us stop putting Twilight and Harry Potter in even the same universe.

In conclusion, I am a freakshow and I've already started crying just reading the reviews for part one of The Deathly Hallows. The love and nostalgia I feel for this series is ridiculous and nerdy, and I am not ashamed.

And for your information; here are the parts of Deathly Hallows that I ball my eyes out during every reading of the book.
- When Harry and Hermione visit Harry's parents' graves.
- When Harry digs Dobby's grave.
- When Ron comes back and destroys the locket.
- When Harry sees his parents at the end and his mom says, "You've been so brave."

And maybe one time, when I was listing these to Zach after he asked me which parts make me cry, I got choked up just saying that last one.

P.S. I hate how Ginny is portrayed in the movies. There I said it. I made Zach fast forward through the part where she TIES HIS SHOE (WTF) in the 6th movie.

13 comments:

Amber said...

I couldn't agree more on all points: Twilight/HP comparison - doesn't compare; HP and as a gourmet meal - couldn't have said it better myself; Getting emotional at those points in the book - I got emotional just reading about you getting emotional. 'Nuff said.

I'm so jealous that you get to see it tonight! Hopefully I'll get to see it before it leaves the theaters. :-)

Sara! said...

People do this?!! Now I am angry. Yes, I'm a huge nerd and tomorrow will be wearing my rhinestoned HP shirt that I paid way too much for but have for sure gotten my use out of.
I just got all goose-bumpy reading the tearjerker parts.

Allison said...

Thank you for this post. I couldn't agree more.

You have my total solidarity, sister, in nerdy weepiness.

I won't be seeing the movie til next weekend when I'm in Bellingham and can go with my sister. Maybe between now and then I'll pull the book out and read again in anticipation......

MeL said...

I just got teary-eyed when reading your list of emotional parts, and the last one, guh, I seriously had to hold them back. I am now wishing that we had decided to see it tonight. I was talking nerdy with one of my young women a couple nights ago, and she said that she re-reads the series every summer, and I decided that it was the most brilliant idea I had ever heard, and something I will be starting.

Also, just to add to nerdiness, Daniel Radcliff (sp?) was on Jimmy Fallon last night and he said that he cried when they finished shooting. And it made me love him more.

Anonymous said...

AMEN. I can't even think about the 'you've been so brave' part without getting squinty and sniffly.

Also- So glad someone agrees that Twilight is yummy junk food. I have made that comparison to my friends SO MANY TIMES and now I feel that much more validated.

Basically, high fives sisters from other misters.

Jenny Hogle said...

You summed up all my feellings in this post. I couldn't agree more about Ginny. I want to burry my head in the ground whenever she is on the screen. Harry Potter has been a part of my life for about half of my life...since 4th grade. And I will never deny loving it.

Rachel Hatch said...

Was it everything you dreamed of and more?

Erica said...

Rachel it was epic. I shall be seeing it again.

Michelle said...

It really was epic and scary as hell. I need to read the entire series, I have no idea why I couldn't get into them, makes no sense at all.

My head is bowed in shame.

The Fletchies said...

I am a fan of this post. Favorite shirt I saw was a team Jacob shirt that someone had crossed off to say Team Ginny.

Chris Potter said...

I think Ginny is the only miscast character so far, there is justno chemistry there, she has no spark.

And so much YES to HP being a gourmet meal, Twilight is a package of Doritos in comparison.

I cried when I held the 7th book in my hands for the first time, and I will be a MESS when the movies are over (and during them). I can't even think about that scene with his parents or putting flowers on their graves without losing it. I have chills just thinking about it.

I am so excited to see this!!

Allison said...

I'm waiting to see it with my sister, Kristin, in Bellingham next weekend. But in anticipation, I just spent the last two days re-reading The Deathly Hallows. Even though I know how it ends, I still couldn't put it down. Up til 4 and 5am in the morning respectively....

It's an epic book - glad to hear you feel that the movie holds up to that standard.

@michelle - yes, read the series!

tyandlinds said...

agreed...dobbie grave for sure, also in half blood prince when dumbledore dies. the soundtrack of the hbp is really good. i might have it ;)(total nerd alert)